The Outdoor Classroom at Limerick Elementary School is a beautiful space that offers students and teachers the opportunity to enjoy a unique learning atmosphere as weather permits throughout the school year.
As with any outdoor space, the OC is in need of routine maintenance, cleanup, and creativity. Our mission is to make it a fun, charming place to be enjoyed by the students and staff of LES and a space that can help expand lesson plans and learning experiences beyond the typical classroom setting.
The Outdoor Classroom committee, comprised of LES Home & School League volunteers, will use this page for planning, ideation, and updates around everything related to the Outdoor Classroom. If you’d like to join the committee or help out in any way, please get in touch!
Taken April 8, 2021
Taken October 16, 2020
Current Projects & Opportunities
Updated April 11, 2021
Note that the spring cleanup is in progress! Get in touch if you’re interested in lending a hand!
- Spring cleanup: before we can really make best use of the space, there are some obvious things we can do to improve its aesthetics:
- Future Planning
- Transform this dead area into a multi-purpose garden where the students can plant things and decorate.
- Improve the edging and decor around the pond area.
- Decorate the trellis area – perhaps in partnership with LES faculty and students.
- Eventually refinish the tables/benches, add fresh sand, and covers.
- Work with LES faculty to increase student involvement and use of the OC.
- Collaboration ideas and opportunities: these are activities / projects where we’d need to partner with faculty for endorsement
In March 2020, we organized the first-ever Limerick Elementary Comic Con event, which was billed as a fundraiser for the Outdoor Classroom. While we would love to make this an annual tradition and continue to improve on the successful inaugural model, whether or not we’ll be able to have in-person events in 2021 is still very much up in the air.
We still hope to be able to do something special this year, so please feel free to drop us any ideas. If we get the OC in proper shape, perhaps there’s a chance we can do something special in the fall.
Have an idea? You can either comment directly on this page or submit your thoughts via the survey embedded below.